Commercial Bathroom Maintenance
A clean, efficient bathroom at your commercial property in Slidell, LA, keeps your clients, customers and tenants happy. There are few things as off-putting as a clogged toilet, toilet overflow or raw sewage in a public restroom. Fortunately, there are steps you can take to properly maintain the lavatory, prevent flooding and avoid water damage repairs.
How Do I Prevent a Clogged Toilet?
In your commercial bathroom, you can help protect the toilets and safeguard your sewage system by doing the following:
- Place signs in the restrooms instructing people what should and should not be flushed down the toilets. For example, toilet paper is appropriate to flush, but paper towels and feminine products are best thrown in the garbage.
- Consider the type of toilet paper in the restrooms at your property. Choose a thinner, more biodegradable type of paper. This is less likely to cause a clog if large amounts are flushed, and gentler on your septic system.
- One of the simplest methods of prevention is supplying the restrooms with garbage cans. Trash containers should be located in the stalls and also near where paper towels are available. The containers should be emptied on a regular schedule.
What Actions Do I Take After a Toilet Overflow?
Sometimes regardless of preventative measures, accidents happen. As soon as you are notified of a problem, take the following actions to decrease the likelihood of further water damage:
- Turn off the water source to the offending toilet.
- Immediately call a water restoration company to assess the situation. If the water is contaminated, special antibacterial cleaning measures need to be taken to disinfect the area. As needed, the space will be dried and restored.
- Contact your commercial insurance agent, as water damage may be covered by your policy.
Bathroom maintenance is an important part of owning a commercial property in Slidell, LA. By following a few easy steps, a clogged toilet resulting in water damage can often be avoided. If this were to occur, however, get immediate help from a water restoration expert.