Steps to Take After Water Damage in Your Slidell Home
Cleaning Up Water Damage After a Burst or Broken Pipe
Every homeowner winds up with a water accident sooner or later. If it is not a broken pipe or a water heater that gives out, it could be a leaky seal or backed up sump pump. That is just the nature of homeownership.
When you are cleaning up after a plumbing emergency that left water damage in your home in Pearl River, LA it is important to understand the steps you need to take to get yourself back on your feet again quickly.
1. Shut Off Your Water Main. Before you bother calling for a plumber to fix the pipe itself, make sure you turn off the water. This can stop incoming water and allow for cleanup if the problem is a plumbing emergency.
2. Contact Your Insurance Company. Most insurance companies cover cleaning services and repair for water damage from plumbing accidents. Your regular plan deductible will apply. Major carriers often preauthorize cleanup services to streamline billing, so give your carrier’s claims line a quick call.
3. Contact a Cleaning Service. Residential water damage cleanup involves removing the water in home areas and dry cleaning the carpet, furniture, and other items in the area. If you have multiple phone lines in your household, calling for a cleaning service in Pearl River, LA on one line while a family member contacts your insurance company can speed up the entire process.
4. Remove Dry Items. Once you know that help is on the way, it’s time to take dry and unaffected items out of the water damaged areas of the home. That way, the cleanup crew can more easily get to the affected belongings in your home.
5. Contact a Plumber. Cleaning services are not usually plumbing services, so if you have experienced a plumbing emergency, you will need to call for a plumber to fix the problem before turning your water back on.
Remember, while it is essential to take care of the broken pipe quickly, water in home living areas continues to do damage until it is properly cleaned up. That is why it is important to contact a dry cleaning service right away.
Water can damage your home in many ways. Call SERVPRO of Slidell to aid you after water damages your home. (985) 649-1516 can reach us 24/7.
Click here to see the history of Slidell, LA.