A Quick Primer on Mold
You may be familiar with the presence of mold in your home, but without truly understanding what mold is and how it thrives, it can be difficult to prevent or eradicate it. Black mold in particular is extremely pernicious and persistent, and even mold cleanup might not be enough to clear it from your Slidell, LA home. Let’s break down what mold is, and why it’s so hard to eliminate.
Mold Is a Fungus
That’s right, the same type of growth as mushrooms – but unless you know proper methods for making moldy cheese, mold isn’t safe to eat. Here are a few things you need to know about black mold:
• It grows where there’s moisture to feed it and organic matter to infest
• Like other fungi, it grows from spores – and you’re typically surrounded by invisible mold spores in your environment
• Mold isn’t always visible to the naked eye, and can take root in hidden crevices
• It’s impossible to wholly eliminate mold from your environment due to the prevalence of atmospheric spores
• Mold can come in many colors, including green, white, yellow, and black, but it’s almost always a fuzzy, thick growth
• Mold can often be easily recognized by an extremely strong, musty smell
So How Can I Get Rid of Mold?
As mentioned above, it’s impossible to wholly eradicate microscopic mold spores in the air – but you can control mold to keep it from growing past the spore stage. Keep moisture in your environment under control by addressing any leaks, flooding, or other sources of water damage. Use a dehumidifier to cut down on heavy moisture in the air. Check your appliances for leaks or condensation issues. Get an air purifier to cut down on the number of spores in the air. If you fear you have a problem, it may be helpful to consult with a mold remediation specialist for additional assistance.
For more on Slidell click here.